Tag: GitQlient

GitQlient: The new UI (Part II)

In the previous entry of this series of posts I introduced the change I planned to transform QGit in a new app and plugin called GitQlient.

A new UI for GitQlient

In the old QGit there was a mix of UI files, in place widgets and classes that handle data and return widgets because… why not? A mess. For GitQlient, I separated the UI by scopes and I changed the main window for a QWidget so I can easily integrate it in QtCreator as a plugin.

Centralized controls

In QGit there were a lot of controls, menu and options all around. You could easily feel a bit lost not because of the amount but because of their unspecific behavior. In GitQlient, I’ve opted for a central controls widget, with the main used actions and some additional features but trying to avoid as much as a possible to overwhelm the user. The Controls is widget composed by a series of buttons. The widget allows you to apply the main Git actions but also to move between the different views.

Controls widget of GitQlient
Controls widget of GitQlient
(more…)

GitQlient: The evolution of QGit (Part I)

Update: I’ve been noticed that Heimdal is already used so I’ve changed the name to GitQlient, that is not fancy but it will do it for now! 🙂

Some time ago I started looking into which possibilities I have to handle Git repositories in UI-based. The one that I like the most is GitKraken but I’m not willing to pay the price it cost. Specially since I need to work with private and/or company-hosted repositories. For that reason, I started by looking for a Qt app already made I could use. Or in the worst case adapt to my own use.

I discovered an app called QGit that is available for Linux which I could easily work with. The drawbacks were that it was using really old code and was done in quite an ugly style. Those were two of the most important inconveniences since it I wanted to understand exactly how things were done. And if needed, easily modify the app for my personal needs. After some analysis I came to the conclusion that QGit needs a big refactor. And that is what I’ve done!

(more…)